The Entourage Effect and Terpenes
Throughout the cannabis plant are many compounds; cannabinoids. THC and CBD are the most widely knowledgeable cannabinoids today. Together, these compounds work to provide the body with relief. This process is the entourage effect. In general, the idea of the entourage effect is that all cannabinoids within the cannabis plant work together to affect the body. Similar to the body’s own endocannabinoid system.
It is the relationship between two compounds within in the cannabis plant that work simultaneously to channel the CB1 and CB2 neuroreceptors for maximum relief, states Israeli researcher Raphael Mechoulam.
The entourage effect doesn’t apply to just cannabinoids but other chemical components inside the cannabis plant as well.
Terpenes, ketones, esters, lactones, alcohols, fatty acids and steroids all interact with the cannabinoids to produce unique results. These compounds work together to produce a different result than when used alone. If you change the chemical compound of a cannabis plant then the effects will differ. The entourage effects explains how the effects change from strain to strain.
Finally, there are over 100 known terpenes in the cannabis plant that will provide specific relief. Terpenes are what you smell and the flavor. They originate in the same glands as THC, CBD and other cannabinoids but terpenes are not only found in cannabis. Terpenes can also be found in common plants like mangos, lavender, fruit rinds and cotton. When inhaled or ingested, terpenes work with cannabinoids and interact with the endocannabinoid system to provide therapeutic effects.
Most Common Cannabis Terpenes
- Benefits: Anti-oxidant, sedative, sleep aid, muscle relaxer
- Aroma: Earthy, musk
- Benefits: Anti-anxiety, antidepressant, stress relief, treat acid reflux
- Aroma: Citrus
- Benefits: Anti-inflammatory, gastroprotective, good for arthritis, protects cell lining
- Aroma: Pepper, spicy
- Benefits: Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial
- Aroma: Pine
- Benefits: calming, antibacterial, antiviral, immune system, sedative
- Aroma: Lilac
- Benefits: calming, sedative, anti-anxiety, antidepressant, anti-acne
- Aroma: Lavender, floral, citrus