October – Depression Awareness Month
Raising awareness on key issues throughout the world is detrimental to community and global health. As we go through life, new and troublesome problems arise, creating hurdles and obstacles while we all aim for health, happiness and comfort. One of the most common mental illnesses in America is depression. Approximately 17.3 million Americans currently live with depression, or just about 7.1% of Americans who are the age of 18 and older. Moreover, between the ages of 3-17, there are about 1.9 million children diagnosed with depression. This epidemic not only introduces a clear issue that needs to be addressed, but it helps shed light on the complexity and individuality that comes with depression and those who suffer from it.
Yes – the simple answer is that depression is the product of a tricky chemical imbalance within the brain. For some, there are weeks on and off where symptoms manifest themselves as they see fit. For others, there are trigger stimuli that instigate a depressive episode.
As scientists struggle to understand this phenomenon fully, the true advances come from patient testimonials, trial treatments and blind studies. It is the push and pull of experimentation that allows us to understand depression more every day. With these feats, there could be a cure to depression on the horizon.
What Can CBD Do for Depression?
At Infinite CBD, we value the education of cannabinoids overall. Many of our customers have reported that cannabidiol, or CBD, has changed their lives for the better, improving overall quality. As we always share, any facet of our health begins with balancing our internal systems, allowing everything we do to be quick maintenance on an already healthy, nourished and cared for vessel.
Inside all of us is the Endocannabinoid System – the machine in which every cannabinoid is processed. As we exercise this system with regular consumption of cannabinoids, we help balance that system overall. Studies have shown that not only has CBD improved healthy brain function, but customers have reported that it has decreased or eliminated symptoms of anxiety and depression. Our team recognizes these immense potential health benefits, and we want our customers to move in the direction of changing their lives with healthy decisions.
We’ve all been there – 1:00AM searches on WebMD and matching some arbitrary symptoms with the most rare disease prevalent in the most secluded corners of the planet. With depression, symptoms can seem to be all too familiar and it is easy to jump to conclusions. Keep in mind, this disorder is based on a true chemical imbalance. While some days we feel like staying in bed for hours and secluding ourselves, this does not mean that depression is the cause.
Be sure to consult your doctor if you believe you may have depression. It takes a true diagnosis to determine whether or not you have depression. Consulting a professional can help you understand the decisions that you will soon have to make.
Symptoms vary from patient to patient, but some symptoms to keep an eye on are:
- Mood: anxiety, apathy, general discontent, guilt, hopelessness, loss of interest, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, mood swings, or sadness
- Behavior: agitation, excessive crying, irritability, restlessness, or social isolation
- Sleep: early awakening, excess sleepiness, insomnia, or restless sleep
- Whole body: excessive hunger, fatigue, or loss of appetite
- Cognitive: lacking concentration, slowness, suicidal thoughts
- Weight: noticeable weight gain or weight loss
- Also common: poor appetite, repeated thoughts
Simple Tips for Managing Depression
There is not any known “cure-all” for depression as it is so unique case by case. However, there are some simple things you can add to your daily lifestyle to promote brain health and functionality – potentially nipping some of the symptoms in the bud.
- CBD: As mentioned, balancing the Endocannabinoid System can be an effective way to improve your overall health. Consult your doctor before dramatically changing your consumption methods, but feel free to turn to professionals or academic online resources to see how CBD can alter your depression.
- Exercise: Sounds simple. Getting your body up and active can be a huge leap for someone experiencing depression. The comfort of pillows, blankets and seclusion can be heavily tempting to someone in this position, but exercise leads to a healthy production of serotonin in the brain. In simpler terms, working out can make you happier! Take it one step further and get active outside. Sunshine also promotes serotonin production.
- Diet: Surely you’ve heard that acne is a helpful indicator of how healthy your diet is. Just like pimples, your brain function can be an important piece to analyze when reviewing your diet. Fueling your body is important, which is why you should consult a doctor to see which nutrients need more attention – whether that means adding or subtracting. A happy headspace can start with healthy fuel.
- Talk though it: Sometimes what can help most is talking through your issues, or hearing an outside source review your issue. Therapy can be dramatically effective for those suffering from depression. Professionals know exactly what is going on within the mind of someone with depression and can help comfortably move them toward the direction of improving their quality of life.