What is Wellness? It can be defined as the practice of daily healthy habits to achieve better physical and mental health.
How does CBD factor into Wellness? A person’s endocannabinoid system (ECS) regulates many critical body functions such as sleep, appetite, temperature control, and inflammatory and immune response.
When cannabinoids like CBD bind to specific receptors, the ECS is stimulated to help achieve stasis. This can mean lower stress levels, boosts in mood, and, control over aches and pains.
Overall wellness is about so much more than being without physical ailment. True wellness is the difference between just surviving, and thriving. Key elements of our lifestyles are considered to be facets of our general wellness. Each of these has a profound impact on our physical and mental wellbeing:
- Social connectedness
CBD…for energy? Ever find your eyelids growing inexplicably heavy during those lengthy virtual meetings? You aren’t alone. According to the Sleep Foundation , 32.5% of American adults are getting less than 7 hours of sleep on average these days. And over half report feeling drowsy during the work day at least once a week. Ask yourself:
- Are you getting enough quality sleep? The average adult needs an average of 8 hours every night.
- Are you staying hydrated? Even mild dehydration can drag energy levels down.
- Are you getting enough time outdoors? A lack of sunshine to recharge could be the culprit.
More than just a nuisance, low energy can have an impact on mood, motivation to accomplish tasks and engage in social interaction, as well as our physical sense of wellbeing. Many of us turn to bottomless cups of coffee to combat grogginess, but the unwanted jitters and the inevitable crash make this a less than perfect solution.
Our caffeine-free CBD energy products are formulated to compliment positive changes to your self-care routine and to provide that little boost to get you through even the longest meetings without leaving you jittery. So how do we do it? The magic lies in our balanced blend of ingredients:
CBD for sleep and relaxation? It is among the top use cases for cannabinoids, addressing a pain point for a LOT of people. Over 40 million Americans report suffering from chronic sleep disturbances. And 77% say that their general stress level is high enough that it impacts their physical health. Stress and sleep issues are often part of a vicious cycle — the more stressed out we are, the more it negatively impacts our sleep and the more we experience sleep deprivation or poor quality sleep, the more stressed out we feel.
And that’s nothing to shake a stick at — prolonged stress and sleep deprivation can take a major toll on us, negatively affecting our relationships, ability to function at work or school, sense of self-worth and outlook on the future. And that’s not to mention the physical toll — existing under these pressures can contribute to our risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other major health issues as well as exacerbating mental health challenges like anxiety and mood disorders. There are methods that are widely suggested to help relieve stress and to promote healthy sleep:
- Don’t neglect general wellness — proper nutrition, regular exercise, hydration.
- Maintain good sleep hygiene — limit caffeine after 5pm, avoid blue light and screens in the evenings, keep your bedroom/sleep zone tidy, comfy and conducive to sleep (cooler temperature, low warm light, perhaps even scented with lavender or another restful essential oil scent).
- Mind yourself through mindfulness — give regular meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises a try.
CBD for sleep and relaxation can support a healthy, stress-reducing routine. But, can CBD itself really help alleviate stress and restore healthy sleep? Studies suggest that it may indeed. Many use CBD to address the root causes of their insomnia like chronic pain, depression, stress-induced ailments, and general physical discomfort. It is also used to manage daily stress, alleviate anxiety and promote general wellness. Our products combine the relaxation-promoting benefits of cannabinoids CBD and CBN with melatonin to promote restful sleep.
- Brain Training — activities like sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, chess, memory games and the like can work those focus muscles. This is particularly helpful for older adults as memory and concentration tend to decline with age.
- Sleep — yep, most adults are recommended to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. Paying attention to your sleep hygiene and building healthy sleep habits is crucial.
- Gaming — believe it or not, video games may be helpful in expanding our capacity for concentration! Several studies (including this one) attribute video games with changes in the brain including increased focus and attention span. Who knew, right?
- General Wellness — making time to attend to our general wellness is also important in helping us be our best when it comes to focus. Read more about that here.
What about our four-legged family when it comes to wellness? CBD for pets is currently all the rage, but does it work? As it happens, all animals have been found to possess an endocannabinoid system. That’s right, ALL — from tall to small, dogs to cats, fish to hamsters, newts to nematodes; they all have endocannabinoid systems not unlike those of humans. And while there is still much research to be done, some studies (like this one) have shown that hemp-based CBD therapeutics have positive effects on pets, particularly older ones who may be suffering from arthritis, inflammation, anxiety, seizures and other maladies. Some have shown a significant decrease in pain and improvement in mobility — both having the potential to improve our pets’ quality of life, giving them more active years to continue being our best friends.